Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Weather Outside is Frightful...

Oh, Christmas.


By far, the biggest holiday of the year.

Mixed emotions are all i have over this important holiday.

When the doors to the nearest store are opened that terrible, terrible day known as Black Friday, swarming and screeching masses grasp lustfully for the new "IT" gadget, or the new "IN" toy. In a time, when money is important above most everything else, why subject ourselves to this?

Seriously, Why? Is it because we've become used to just seeing Christmas as an excuse to get something that's fucking awesome but might break or be replaced with a newer model in months?

CHRISTMAS SHOULDN'T BE ABOUT THE GODDAMN GIFTS.

Why in the hell is handing someone something you bought them and saying a nonchalant "Merry Christmas" adequate? Is that all that this holiday season has brought us?

I don't believe that. I believe that Christmas should be about celebrating the harmony between friends and family.

Another thing i need to point out: I don't like receiving gifts (as if you couldn't tell already). But i do like buying them for people. I don't WANT anything. I believe that if i want something, I'll buy it with my own money. However, I do love getting things for people.

on a more happy side, I do love this time of year, and the general sense of love and happiness that surrounds these weeks like a frosty aura. That, and I make it my goal to watch what are in my opinion the three greatest Christmas movies ever.
Christmas Story
Nationan Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
The Original version of Miracle on 34th Street.
... and just for the hell of it, Santa Claus Conquers The Martians

I LOVE CHRISTMAS. But it ain't perfect.

so all in all...
Merry Christmas. Every-One.

1 comment:

In Another Space said...

The holiday season is becoming just that, a "holiday" season. It's a shame that "Merry Christmas" has become such a argued about word now a days even though it would seem that people will fight tooth and nail to find a "holiday" gift for someone. Christmas is becoming nothing more than a chaotic mess full of greed and arguing, but at least there are still some people out there that understand and actually watch and LISTEN to the Christmas specials which all basically say that it's not about what you get or what you give, its about the fucking emotion and the happiness that goes along with the gifts. Gifts are just the pieces we use to show that we care for that person, its the message behind it that truly makes the Christmas season what it is, without that message behind it, there is absolutely not point to it. And though it seems the point of Christmas it dying gradually, I hope it does survive even if its just for a small minority.